Background: House Bill 1338 (2019) was passed and allowed the AZ Department of Transportation to design seven different veteran special license plates one plate shall contain a Native American Code Talker seal.
The Code Talkers Congressional Medal has been awarded to the following tribes:
Based on the historical and unique contributions of these peoples, the Governor’s Office on Tribal Relations is hosting a competition open to American Indian/Alaska Native students who attend a high school, college or university within the boundaries of the state of Arizona to design a seal and include a 300 word (min) essay on:
How does this seal design honor all code talkers and why is it important to you?
- American Indian/Alaska Native students residing and attending a high school/college/university within the boundaries of the state of Arizona
- Must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized Tribal Nation in the United States
Grades 9-12 Students:
- (3) Top High school students will be awarded $100
- (2) Top College/University/Graduate students will be awarded $200
- The top five designs will go onto a web based competition. The final design chosen will be used on the Code Talker License plate and the student designer will be awarded $500.
The plate itself is 6 inches by 12 inches. The box to the left is where the code talker seal should fit. The seal can be no larger than 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches.
- Awardees will be notified by the Code Talkers Seal Design Committee by Friday, May 15th.
- The final design will be selected by web based competition which will commence on Monday, May 18th 8:00AM and conclude on Friday, May 29th 5:00pm.
- The design and award will be announced on Native American Day, Tuesday, June 2, 2020.
- Complete the STUDENT APPLICATION FORM
- Submit a copy of tribal enrollment card/CIB from a federally recognized Tribal Nation
- Submit a typed double spaced essay (300 word min.) to answer the following:
- High School Students: Submit a copy of most recent class schedule
- College/University students: Submit a copy of Spring 2020 enrollment verification
- Submit design (no more than 3 designs may be submitted per an application)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SENT TO:
Please call 602-542-4426 or email [email protected]